My name is Doug Shepley and I have been in the industry since 1976. Here’s a little bit of my background:
– I graduated from the Champaign/Urbana campus of the University of Illinois with a degree in accountancy and passed the entire CPA exam in May 1976.
– My first job out of college was with a small firm where I learned the practical things that most individuals and small businesses need, e.g., income taxes, sales and payroll taxes, bookkeeping, general ledgers, etc. Back then, we didn’t have microcomputers, so ledgers were posted by hand, which helped me throughout my career because I actually understand how things are supposed to work. With today’s software, many of these tasks are easier and quicker to perform, but not nearly as much fun to do.
– After a couple of years, I moved up to mid-sized local firms. There I gained experience in auditing and more GAAP-type engagements, which allowed me to see and work with larger businesses that have accounting and tax needs somewhat different than a smaller company.
– A few years later, I had an opportunity to go to work in industry as a controller in a manufacturing company which was a client of the firm. I spent five years there and gained valuable insights and experience from that side of the business world.
– In 1993 I started working again as a CPA in a small local firm. I missed the public accounting world and the opportunities it offers to work with and help a lot more people.
– January 2010 marked the beginning of DMS CPA’s, Ltd.
On a personal note, my wife and I live near my office, our three kids are grown and out of the house, we all are die-hard Cubs fans, as well as avid Blackhawks and Bears fans. We also are loyal to the Fighting Illini and we do miss the Chief. I try to stay in shape by playing ice hockey, golfing, biking or even bowling.
970 N. Oaklawn Ave., Suite 202
Elmhurst, IL, 60126